Change is the only constant in the universe, so no matter how hard you try to resist, it’s going to happen. In the design field, the same rule holds true, things change, and it can happen rather quickly. Being a designer means you not only need to be creative but also be willing to learn new things. Luckily, many creatives have an open mind and are receptive to change. Staying on top of the curve also helps, so knowing what to expect can help you keep that creative edge. Every year new trends emerge, so it’s essential to keep your designs relevant and with the times (for the most part). Staying up to date by knowing the emerging design trends for 2020
It is finally 2020, the dawn of a new decade, and anything can happen. All we know is design is evolving. If you want to stay on track this year, check out some of the predicted design trends for 2020.
1. Street Art Styles- Street and graffiti art have a place in history, and in 2020, street art is destined to make a comeback to graphic design. Graffiti and street art are edgy, uses bold colors, breaks conventional rules, and has an open flow to it that allows the artist’s own personal style to emerge.
2. Use of 3D Objects- Using 3D objects in design is becoming more prevalent in design. 3D objects can make a simple composition really pop, especially when you take a 3D object and place it in front of a flat-design backdrop. In 2020, we are sure to see more amazing 3D design compositions.
3. Shiny Metals- Excellent for product design and brand identity, using metallic materials in graphic design is an excellent way to make your design pop and stand out from the crowd. When combined with relief engraving, especially on business cards, the effect is even more impressive and eye-catching.
4. Artistic Typography- While the use of typography has always been significant, it’s continuing to grow and expand in 2020. Artistic typography is often ornamented with geometric shapes, flowers, and other creative elements. Drawing shapes with typography and the use of heavy and semi-transparent fonts are all taking the design world by storm.
5. Collages- Collage-style artwork has made a comeback, and no, it’s not just to be used on your vision board. Collage work looks like the typical arts and crafts type project you did when you were a kid, only with more sophistication and control. The vibrant colors and contrasting elements are quite visually striking, so we should expect to see more of this in 2020.